Skip to content

CSI Insurance Information

CSI Insurance

Q: What is College Student Insurance?

CSI is a low-cost personal property insurance program that supplements the University Production Insurance Plan. It includes basic coverage for personal items (computers, iPods, electronics, cell phones, personal camera equipment) as well as additional coverage for third party camera equipment that you borrow or rent. CSI is a mandatory purchase for all students enrolled in a Production Class. All CSI policies are annual policies that expire one year from the date of purchase. All CSI insurance certificates are generated through the NYU Department of Insurance & Risk Management.

Q: The bursar office billed me for insurance as part of my tuition, and I already paid this fee. Why do I have to purchase additional insurance?

On the bursar bill, you will notice that NYU charges an insurance fee. This covers large liability and equipment claims, but there is a deductible of $5000. This is where CSI comes in. CSI is a gap policy issued by a 3rd party insurance provider which will cover the cost of the deductible for any equipment that is lost or damaged, leaving the student with the much reduced financial burden. With a CSI policy, the deductible goes down from $5000 to $500. The policy covers not only your personal equipment, but also NYU's equipment when in your care, and any equipment that you borrow or rent. As an added benefit, the CSI policy also covers all your own personal property in your apartment or dorm room including phones, laptops, bicycles, etc.

Q: My personal property is covered under my family's homeowner insurance policy. Do I still have to purchase CSI?

Purchasing CSI insurance is a requirement if you are in a production class, and may not be substituted with any other outside policies as the terms have been carefully negotiated with NYU's department of Risk Management to protect both you, the school, and any 3rd parties from whom you borrow or rent equipment. It's a relatively small fee to save you from any big payments, should anything get damaged, lost or stolen.

Q: How do I purchase CSI?

Step 1: Go to Click Order Policy.

Step 2: From the pull-down menu, select New York as as the School State and New York Univeristy (Film/Photo/Journalism) as the School Name.

Step 3: Select YES for the $60 Equipment Endorsement and choose your personal property coverage: The minimum Policy Limit is $6000 with a $500 Deductible for a cost of $90. Continue to fill in your personal information.

Step 4: Enter your credit card information and purchase the policy. Once your order has gone through you will receive a confirmation E-mail.

Areas of coverage

  • Rented or Borrowed Equipment - Covers photography or film related equipment that is rented or borrowed, provided the equipment is rented or borrowed for a period of thirty days or less.
  • Personal Property - This policy insures all personal articles owned or in the care, custody or control of the named insured while the insured is an enrolled student.

Cost of CSI Insurance

The total minimum cost of the plan is $155. This total is broken down as follows:



Policy ($6000 Limit/$500 Deductible)


Equipment Endorsement ($25,000 Limit)


Processing Fee




: You will not be permitted to check out equipment from the Production Center without registering your policy with us below.

Q: How long does the coverage last?

All CSI policies are annual policies that expire one year from the date of purchase.

Q: If I graduate during my policy period, will my insurance still be valid until the expiration date?

Yes. The policy is good for one full year from date of purchase.

Q: Do I need to file for a certificate of insurance for my NYU equipment?

No. You do not need to file an equipment insurance request for NYU equipment, but you will be asked to provide the Department with a printout of either your CSI policy or the order confirmation E-mail sent to you from CSI.

Q: Does my CSI camera equipment rental coverage extend to other third parties, such as rental houses and individuals?

Yes, as long as the replacement value of the rental does not exceed $25,000 in replacement value.

Q: Can I insure multiple rentals through this policy?

This policy can be used for multiple rentals but do keep in mind that the total rental value cannot exceed $25,000.

Q: How can I get a certificate of insurance for that rental?

All requests for insurance still flow through the NYU Department of Insurance & Risk Management. If you need to provide the rental house/owner with a copy of the insurance, you can still request this by filling out the Equipment Rental Request form online: Don't forget to fill out the section of the form that asks for your CSI Student Property policy information. There is a standard five (5) business-day turnaround on all insurance certificates, and it will be sent to you via E-mail.

Please Note: The NYU Equipment Rental Request form can only be used for filing requests for CSI certificates of insurance.

Q: What is the procedure for filing an insurance claim for missing, stolen, damaged equipment?

For NYU equipment, follow the procedures outlined under Losses, Accidents, and Claims:

Next, contact CSI's Customer Service line 1-888-411-4911. CSI will walk you through the steps of filing your insurance claim.

For third party rented or borrowed equipment, file a police report immediately and prepare a summary of the incident. Next, contact CSI's Customer Service line 1-888-411-4911. CSI will walk you through the steps of filing your insurance claim.

Q: If I need to file a claim for 3rd party equipment, what is the deductible that I pay out of pocket?

The deductible on this $25,000 3rd party rented/borrowed equipment coverage is $500.00. Please note that you must follow the steps above for filing an insurance claim, otherwise you will be responsible for paying the school's deductible, which is $5000.